Sunday 20 July 2008

Into the last week

Kathy has now finished working for nine months and has at last put some clothes on board. At one point I thought she might be voyaging as a naturalist, but no such luck ;-) Sadly neither of the cars has sold and we now have to quickly work out how to insure them as goods rather than cars - they used to do fire and theft, but that's a while ago. Just as well we hadn't sold the Focus, because it was full to the brim on Saturday with K's clothes, diesel fuel oil, yet more water and two huge bags of tins. It may have been lighter to go for the dried, ready meals option, but I have not seen them in the local supermarket. Quite a few of the "ARC" reports mention them as being varied and tasty - unless you know differently.



And so to the problem. Yes you guessed it - me. On Monday last week I had to go to the dentist, because of an infected tooth. To say that it was sore would be to say Mt Everest was a hill. After he had drilled out the infected filling, screwed out the nerves and covered the whole thing in some sort of DDT disinfectant, he let me go. I was really pleased that he hadn't removed the tooth until the anaesthetic had worn off. I was poorly, very poorly. This Monday, I have to return to the nice, kind dentist to have "root canal" work on the tooth. Apparently this is completely painless if you are dead.



Our intended leaving date was Wed/Thurs 23/24, but if I suffer as I did last week, then we shall not be leaving until later. Yes I know I am a geriatric weakling, but believe me - of all the ailments I have suffered - an infected tooth is the one that I can cope with the least even in the cradle of my own comfortable home. To have a similar ailment in the middle of the Bay of Biscay, does not bear thinking about.



Kathy is ready; Sal Darago is ready; only I am dragging my heels and hoping that the dentist leaves me in one piece as he waves me farewell. Oh - that and the fact there has been a gale warning out in the Irish Sea, so we would have been waiting anyway. Who knows, the next blog, we might be in Ireland.

2 comments:

Spenoir said...

Sounds great - baked beans followed by peach slices. Yummy.

Bon voyage!!

Exx

Westhead community said...

Wow! What a fantastic thing to do. Hope the tooth has been fixed - better to have had that now than later!
Have a great time and don't get lost.
Will be following your progress.
Lots of love
Wendy and Hannah xxx